This are my notes in the fields of computer science and technology. Everything is written with ABSOLUTE NO WARRANTY of fitness for any purpose. Of course, feel free to comment anything.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A color picker

Looking for a color picker for a website I am preparing, I found many commercial tools and other open source (unobfuscated js) but not free-licensed.

An open source free licensed ('it’s dual licenced under Creative Commons & GPL') color picker is the Colorjack color picker: I like more the version 1.0.4 than 2.0. .

I saw that the code in Colorjack incorporates a function $() which I would have to rename to avoid conflicts with the Prototype framework... (although I didn't actually test it) so I just looked further and found Scripteka, which is a collection of Prototype extensions. Currently there are links to 119 projects.

At least two of them are color picking related, John Dyer's Colorpicker, released in 2007 under a MIT-style license and Jeremy Jongsma's GPL-licensed Control.ColorPicker, released in April 2008.

Not all the projects linked by Scripteka are free licensed: for example Cooltips is not.

Through a comment in John Dyer's blog I came to nogray color picker which is based on another javascript framework (mooTools) and I didn't find the licensing terms.

It's a pity none of them is available as Rails plugin, maybe with some nice helper methods...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Former molecular biologist and web developer (Rails) and currently research scientist in bioinformatics.