This are my notes in the fields of computer science and technology. Everything is written with ABSOLUTE NO WARRANTY of fitness for any purpose. Of course, feel free to comment anything.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Always back up on a dedicated partition or disk!

My home dir on a certain server was backed up by another company. I set under my home a soft link to another location (several Gb of data). What I didn't know: their backup script was rync-based *with* the option --copy-unsafe-links. Rsync followed the link and backed up tons of stuff clugging the backup hard disk. They used the same hard disk and the same partition also for another function: email server. So that softlink disrupted the email server! At first I though I was to be blamed, but after a second thought, I understood, that it's not 100% true: they should have *never* run the mail server on the same partition where they backed up that stuff!


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Former molecular biologist and web developer (Rails) and currently research scientist in bioinformatics.