This are my notes in the fields of computer science and technology. Everything is written with ABSOLUTE NO WARRANTY of fitness for any purpose. Of course, feel free to comment anything.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ruby and GUIs

Is there a good ruby GUI toolkit?

I want to write a simple app, with a simple DB backend, just to keep some notes. As I want it to run on my laptop, I don't want any webserver running, so no rails app (and also because I want to do some gui programming, it's years I am only working on console or web apps). 

I started earlier this morning my Google quest to answer this question, I am not so far yet. I am no expert in GUIs. 

Some disorganized thoughts:

- Java of course is a good choice, isn't it? Yes I want to learn Java again (I learned it 10 years ago, and not using it a long time, so I guess my knowledge is totally out-of-date). But now I want just to write a little small app in that simple little lovely ruby language. 

- I guess most Win apps are based on "native" widgets. For that maybe you need VS or the like and I am in this moment in no mood to be a MS fan. And I want something cross-platform. 

- There a libraries, and like always in IT a lot of names and acronymes, just to confuse stupid newbies like me. QT is one, I think, then there are others (I think some GUI library-flame is also the reason why Gnome and KDE are 2 different desktops, isn't it?). So I guess you use one of that with some good ruby bindings and you are on it. Right?

- I read of Shoes: very simple, maybe good idea, but probably just for beginners, I don't know if I want to waste my time with it. Looks like is just something for kids learning programming? 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Former molecular biologist and web developer (Rails) and currently research scientist in bioinformatics.